SG E-book Publication Process
This is the process to add e-book files to a publication landing page on the SG Publications Directory, hosted on our Rackspace Cloud infrastructure.
Step 1: Administration access
Log in to the SG Publications Directory.
Step 2: Create a new publication landing page
Once logged in you’ll see the black site toolbar at the top – add a new “Publication”.
Step 3: Begin entering publication meta information
Fill in details as required – please add a relevant Author (for example GIRFEC, Marine Scotland, etc.) as this helps categorisation.
- If a new Author or Organisation is required, please add the details required in Structure > Taxonomy.
- Ignore “Start Date” and “End Date” – this was originally added for consultations, but is not currently displayed.
- The date fields are in American format – it only appears like this on the admin side, the landing pages display dates correctly.
- The URL should be the HTML on the SG site (ending with /0 – this takes the user straight into the TOC for the document online and should include a PDF link at the top).
- The “Updated Publication” link is to be used for old publications that have been superseded by another on the site – a full URL to the new landing page can be put here so the landing page will include a link to the newer publication.
Step 4: Add e-book specific information
Upload an image at the correct pixel size (232x320px) and add the relevant ISBNs.
- Please upload a cover image which is 232px wide by 320px high, web optimised JPG (saved via the optimisation tool in Photoshop).
- In most cases, the ISBN for Enhanced EPUB and for MOBI will be empty.
Step 5: Upload the e-book files and create links
Upload the e-books, right click on each link and “Copy Link Address” to create the download links, then put the right information including ISBN into the text label for each link.
- The download links for the e-book files should be written like this:
- Level-1 EPUB: EPUB for most e-reader devices and apps (ISBN: _____________)
- Level-2 EPUB: EPUB for most e-reader devices and apps (ISBN: _____________)
- Level-2 EPUB (with video): EPUB with embedded video content for some e-reader devices and apps (ISBN: _____________)
- Level-1/2 MOBI: MOBI for Amazon Kindle (ISBN: _____________)
- We shouldn’t be doing any more fixed-layout e-books, but if we do (or for anything else unusual), please ask me what the download line should say.
- If there is a special case such as videos, etc. let me know as we might need to get new wording drafted by Fiona.
- You can get the download URL from the files you’ve uploaded by right clicking on the filename and selecting “Copy Link Address”.
Step 6: Finish off by checking the authoring information and save
Make sure to set the correct “author” for every publication landing page – it should not have your own name, but instead have “APS Group Scotland Digital Media”.
- It’s alright to use your own website login, as long as the Authoring information it set up properly. Alternatively, just log in as “APS”.
- Once everything is added, “Save” will publish the e-book landing page – assuming “Published” is ticked in the “Publishing options” section.